Education Week Hawai'i is just around the corner! Don't miss out on a week filled with activities for educators from leadership summits to EdCamp Honolulu to the main event, the Schools of the Future Conference!
Education Week Hawai'i (November 5th - 8th).
- Hawaii Education Leadership Summit (Wednesday - November 5th) - The Hawaii Education Leadership Summit (HELS) is designed for leadership teams from public, independent, charter, and parochial schools to explore the multitude of ways that technology and online resources are supporting learning toward the 21st century competencies, common core standards, and/or online learning models. The summit is designed to have your leadership team work together on goals, so it is recommended that each school bring two to four representatives from leadership positions (principals, vice-principals, curriculum specialists, system administrators). As part of the summit, roundtable breakout sessions will allow you to connect with experts from around the state and country, and provide you time to network with like-minded colleagues, so that you leave the summit with a set of goals, resources, and a community that can support you moving forward. Space is limited, so register early! Registration deadline is October 27th. Click here to see the flyer and to register.
- Schools of the Future Conference (Thursday/Friday - November 6th/7th) - Probably the largest gathering of Hawaii educators and administrators in Hawaii with topics about project-based learning, performance-based assessment, professional learning communities, integrating mobile/online technologies, and so much more. Click here to register.
- HSTE Bookstore and Keynote Book Signings! Visit with HSTE Board members while shopping for discounted ISTE books as well as books from the keynote and featured speakers. Register for a drawing to win a free book! Look for us inside the vendor hall in Room 313AB. For more information on the bookstore, see the flyer here.
- Volunteer Opportunities - Are you interested in volunteering to help at the conference? If so, email us and we can get you involved.
- HSTE All-Member Meeting! Everyone is invited to join us for our annual meeting, especially all members of HSTE. We will be going over all the 2014 events, thanking some board members, and introducing the new board for the 2015 year. In addition, we will be asking for your input on the events from this past year and ask you for your ideas for next year. Drawing for some free prizes as well!! Meeting is during the Like-Minded Lunch Sessions on Friday, November 7th from 11:30 - 1PM in the 4th Floor Ballroom.
- EdCamp Honolulu (Saturday - November 8th) - EdCamps are "UNconferences," that are free, participant-driven professional development events where the attendees set the schedule and lead the sessions, which are conversations - NOT presentations. This event is sold out for the year! However, you can add your name to the wait list - http://www.edcamphi.org
For more information about Education Week Hawai'i, click here
Looking for ISTE 2015 Proposal Reviewers for the 1:1 Network PLN
We are looking for 3-5 HSTE members who are familiar with 1:1 related areas to assist with reviewing 35 proposals for the 2015 ISTE Conference. Each proposal takes approximately 15-20 minutes to review. If we have a full team, it should not take more than 3-4 hours of your time to complete this task. The review team will need to determine the top 7 proposals submitted with some alternates for the 1:1 Network PLN recommended selections. The deadline to submit the selections is Monday, November 3rd. If interested, please contact Brett Tanaka (firstname.lastname@example.org
) by Friday, October 17th
Professional Development Opportunity!
Maryknoll High School is looking for individuals who are interested in providing a one-hour presentation to their faculty with regard to using free technology in the classroom in academically innovative ways. All presentations take place at Maryknoll High School between 2:15 to 3:15 p.m. Available dates for presentations are Nov. 5, 2014, Dec. 10, 2014, Feb. 4, 2015, and April 1, 2015. For more detailed information i.e. fees for presentations, etc., please contact Dr. Glenn Medeiros, Vice Principal of Academics and Faculty at Maryknoll High School at email@example.com
Other HSTE News:
Other Upcoming Events on the Islands:
Educational professional development is going on throughout the islands. For a complete list, go to the events page. HSTE wants to share your event so that all educators have a "one-stop" place to see all the PD around the islands, if you have an event you want to share, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add it for free!
- TCCfx 2014 is a complimentary mini-online conference that serves as a platform for the growing learning design and technology (LTEC) community. This online conference aims to connect, collaborate, create, and improve teaching and learning in the 21st century by empowering current and prospective LTEC students and others to prepare for success in their graduate programs and their future professions. This year's theme is: Forward to the Future. More information on the events page. Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, Time: 5:00 pm-9:00 pm HST, Location: Online (join.me), Cost: FREE (complimentary), registration required. For more information & to register: http://tccfx2014.eventbrite.com.
Job Openings around Hawai'i:
If you would like to share a job opening on this site, just email it to us and we will add it to the newsletter.
Calls for Proposals:
The Teaching Colleges and Community Worldwide Online Conference (TCC) is a virtual conference held annually online. This event is designed for faculty, staff and administrators in higher education worldwide to share their expertise and engage in productive forums about innovations and practices that accompany the use of technology in teaching and learning. Dates March 17th - 19th, 2014.
Please consider submitting a proposal for a paper or general session relating to all aspects of educational technology, including but not limited to e-learning, open education, ICT, online communities, social media, augmented reality, educational gaming, faculty & student support, Web 2.0 tools, international education and mobile learning. We also encourage retrospective presentations, personal experiences, and forecasting the future. Click here to learn more and submit at proposal.
Calls for Research Participation:
One HSTE Members is conducting research and is looking for your help.
HSTE Member Debra Clayton is conducting research for her dissertation. I am a doctoral candidate seeking to interview five educators (preferably 6th to 9th grade public and private schools) about your experiences and perceptions on effective use and integration of educational technology. Specifically, the research is a qualitative study Examining Teacher Perceptions of Technology Integration to Bridge the Achievement Gap including the use of digital media to influence student engagement and motivation. If interested and/or for more information please contact Debra Clayton at email@example.com or call 808-286-5871. Thanking you in advance for your assistance with this dissertation research project.
Ongoing Events to connect with other:
For a complete list, go to this page. If you have an event you want to share, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add it.
- Please join the educational Twitter Chat, #edchatHI. A Twitter Chat is an hour long discussion that takes place on Twitter. Participants use and follow the hashtag, #edchatHI. The goal of this Twitter chat is to bring individuals living in or from Hawaii together to discuss important and relevant issues related to education at all levels (Pre-K through College). #edchatHI takes place on the first Monday of every month at 6PM HST.
- Google Rocks! - hosted by Linda Lindsay - weekly Google Hangouts on different topics on every Tuesday at 7PM HST. More info here.
- EdTech Mixed Plate - hosted by HSTE Members - Michael, Michelle, Megan, and Rachel - every Sunday night at 8PM. Each episode they share EdTech and Personal Learning Resources. Check the website for archives, upcoming topics, and the calendar of events.
- GEG (Google Educators Group) Hawaii Weekly Training Hangouts - Every Monday and Wednesday from 7pm-8pm HST, watch the Google+ LIVE Hangout and participate in a variety of Google Apps for Education and Education related trainings. Ask questions and participate in the discussion! Google+ Community Link and Calendar
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email anytime.